The Puppet Master Plays The Concertina; A Cartoon...

Rupert (Murdoch, not Bear) plays the concertina while Australia's idiot child PM plays Pinochio. If anyone wants further decoding of the politics let me know...

And the cricket?

By the way, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), it was the 1940 Disney animated film that first portrayed Geppetto (Pinocchio's "father") as playing the concertina.

The woman on the bench is the PM's media advisor. The "cricket" is the Minister for Communications, Malcolm Turnbull, a leadership rival of the PM, who is in charge of dismantling the previous government's plan to lay optical fibre to every home. Murdoch gave the PM's party a ridiculous amount of help in the last election. The theory goes it is Murdoch who does not want the "fibre to the home" scheme as it would diminish his influence and money making ability and the PM is making it happen for him. The abject look on the "cricket's" face and the broken puppet string are both meaningful. We are in a bizarre political moment.

There is nothing superficial about the cartoon, it has as much narrative as any I have seen.

The woman on the bench is the PM's media advisor. The "cricket" is the Minister for Communications,

Oops! The "woman on the bench" is the "cricket" I was referring to... the "Jiminy Cricket" character in the Disney movie, with his tiny top hat and umbrella.

But thanks for the fuller explanation.

Of course, I see the Jiminy Cricket thing now. I hadn't realised JC was a character in the film. I looked it up a minute ago and surprisingly his name was a way of saying "Jesus Christ!" Like saying feck in Ireland.